Wednesday, November 21, 2007

RTA and Relaxing Weekend (Post 2 of 2)

When we went on the safai, this random dog followed us the entire time. We named him Steven and he trotted behind our jeep for hours. We fed him some sandwiches because he was working hard. Even if we drove too fast for him and lost him, he always caught up in the end. I think he was training for a marathon or something.

Last week Wednesday we went 2 hours north to Panadura to have dinner for Jackie's last night. It was a fun evening and 3 of us that live down here stayed until 11ish. We caught a random bus that took us to a larger town that was 20 mins away, but we couldn't find another bus. So, some random tuk tuk driver pulls up and asks where we're going. Galle is 65km from where we were, so that's quite a drive. He goes into some speech about how expensive petrol is and how it's 130 total kilometers drive for him and then proceeds to ask for 1,000 rupees for the trip. That's about $9. We were like, ok. Then some random cops pull up and talk to him. He turns around and says, "Ok, 1,300 rupees." We were still fine with that. So we set off at about midnight at this point to drive almost half way across the country. We were stoopped at every police checkpoint and they all gave the same surprised expression when he told them where he was going. They checked the tuk tuk and saw white people, so it was cool. About 20 mins from our destination, 1:30am, Sam sees something up ahead and says, "Whoa" I look up and there are about 30 Sri Lankans running in the street screaming. It looked like a scene out of a horror film. Everyone was yelling and running towards us. I look to my right and see a boy laying unconscious under a motor bike. There is a random empty helmet in the middle of the road and there is no driver. As we're driving, people surround our tuk tuk and start banging on the roof trying to get us to stop. I was sure that I was going to be pulled out onto the street. Our driver swerved to miss the guys trying to block us and sped off. He said, "Bad things happen if you stop." We've all been told stories about stopping for accidents because the police arrest you and hold you if you're there. There was also an unfriendly mob that would probably have stolen the tuk tuk. I felt bad leaving, but there wasn't much we could do and it would have been very unsafe.

Friday we went up to Hikkaduwa for swimming and relaxation. After a bit of settling in, a bunch of us jump in the ocean. It's November and we can swim, it's great. We start swimming out for a bit and then look back towards shore. Shore is very far away and there's a strong current going out. We realize this and start to swim back. It is not easy. I'm not a good swimmer, but the other people are struggling, too. I'm swimming, but I can feel myself being pushed out still. I'm actually starting to get worried. After about 5 minutes I can see that I'm making some progress towards shore. I'm getting tired, but I know that I can keep up that level of exertion if I had to. (I did have to.) So after about 10 minutes or so I can touch ground and get onto the shore. I swallowed quite a bit of seawater, but I managed not to puke. I may take swimming lessons when I get home. That night, we had a bonfire on the beach and vodka that tasted like acetone. It was awful. Drunken revelry ensued. No broken ankles or almost killing Marieke this time, though.

We hung aroud on Saturday then went down to Unawatuna beach and drank some more. I was in a "Kurt is not happy to be drunk" mood, exacerbated by my trying to find the Australians while walking on sharp rocks for 15 minutes. I Irish Goodbye. A bunch of us ended up falling asleep on beach chaird until Momma Cat told us all to go to bed.

The next day I woke up at like 7 and went for a morning swim. We played a game of volleyball on the beach with people from 5 different countries (America, France, England, Germany, Netherlands). We then had a mini UN meeting. Later in the day I went to go talk to Milly, who was laying on the beach where the waves were crashing. We're chatting and she says that she has sand everywhere. "It's dowm my shorts, it's in my bikini." It's at this moment where I see an opportunity that cannot be passed up. It's like being offered a ride in Santa's sleigh, you just have to take it. I put on my best Cartman voice and say, "Oh, so you have some sand in your vagina." She was less than amused, but it was completely worth it. (Bonus points for the South Park fans who recognized the phrase "Broflovski's Disease") Some of the people went snorkeling, which I'll do at a later weekend. I did some cheer moves with the girls in the ocean, which always makes the locals happy. We had lunch at this place that has pizza. I ordered the "Beefy Bacon" pizza. I think they have that just for the American tourists.

The girl in my facebook picture is Milly. Emily Jane Cowan. Feel free to send her messages inquiring about Broflovski's.

We all drink bottled water here because the tap water is full of terrorists. On the water, it says "Do not accept if seal is broken." They also have that warning at zoos.

I'm in the mini surgery theatre right now, which is pretty cool. I'm doing better not feeling faint, but we'll see how that holds when I see open heart surgery in a few weeks. I think I'll be able to stomach the gastro surgeries though....

Save the cheerleader, save the world.

-Kurt

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So left a comment for your friend about her diesease, which I told her worsens when around fat kids from Colorado. Hope she has a good sense of humor.