Thursday, October 4, 2007

Holy humidity

You know those really hot and humid days in August that suck. It's like that here. All day.

I arrived safely and with all my luggage. The total real time travel was just over 30 hours and the "clock" time was just over 40. You can imagine how pleasant that was. The stewardesses (the longest word you can type with your left hand) on the Sri Lankan airlines were very hot. They all looked like Manjula, Apu's wife from The Simpsons. That helped make the flight better. I watched Life Free or Die Hard and Harry Potter 5 on the flight. I also watched some Scrubs and The Office. It was glorious. If they would have had a 24 marathon, I wouldn't have left.

There are soldiers with automatic weapons pretty common. Two were riding bicycles and looked really funny. Driving around there are a lot of stray dogs and I even saw one tragically adorable stray puppy. I slept in a hotel the first night and got toured around the hospitals today. My placement changed the day I left, so I'm spending one month in Panadura and the rest at the place I outlined earlier. The one hospital was ridiculously crowded and very hot. The other hospital was a women's hospital and was much quieter. There were some rooms with 20 beds right next to each other with pregnant or just delivered women on them. They also had these mini mosquito nets over the newborns. You know in a cartoon when Jerry does something to Tom and then tries to serve him to the dog on a silver platter with a little silver dome over it? That's what the babies looked like under the nets. I start tomorrow in the general medicine ward of the crowded hospital. It should be exciting.

Tonight, the other volunteers (all girls, booyah) and I are going to a tsunami camp to throw a party for these kids they teach. That should be fun. When we're walking around, kids point and laugh at us because we're white. Lisette said they call her "Ooda" or something like that that means "white person". "Let me guess, "white devil, white devil?"

I'm enjoying the air conditioning of the internet cafe right now. Even in here, I haven't stopped sweating since I arrived. I hope America is still great.

-Kurt

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

its sounds like you are doing awesome things with your life. congratulations. i hope you have a wonderful time. take care of yourself.

Megan said...

hahaha sounds about like the weather of the dirty south. Thats how I grew up! Which is why when I came to UW and ac wasn't standard in apartments it kinda freaked me out. Anyway, stay safe and away from those automatic weapons!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

glad you arrived safely! have a great time, and learn lots!

Craig said...

Automatic weapons are nothing to be afraid of, especially on a bicycle. Besides, guns don't kill people, I kill people... Shooter, you forgot your five iron. That's crazy that they switched your location. Have you opened Panadura's box yet? Tsunami camp sounds cool, but I'm thinking water fights would be in really poor taste, so how do they cool off over there? I liked the Ace Ventura reference. Ooda please! All girls huh? I bet you forgot pack any rubbers, though. This is the site Mom and Dad can't see, right?

Unknown said...

Oh, Kurt. Doing such great things with his life...no big surprise there. :) Have fun and learn lots. Be safe...I'm more worried about you seducing the women than I am about the automatic weapons.

Dustin Schneider said...

stewardesses...wow, it is all with the left hand