Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The End

At the cricket match they had 100 rupee beers, which is like having dollar beers, but at a major sporting event. Stefan, the German guy, had quite a few and had to be removed from the stadium by another friend before the police got involved. Also, whenever Sri Lanka did anything good, all the Sri Lankans would yell and cheer. It didn't sound like normal cheering, though. It sounded like the Ewoks when they took down an AT-AT.

I know my roommates were expecting more from me on this front, but I really haven't written about diarrhea much. Let's change that. This past week I've been having some "digestive issues". It has been painful and not fun. All the bacteria in my colon decided to have a Christmas Eve party. I laid in bed feeling as though I was stabbed in the stomach with a knife every 15 minutes. I took 5 dumps in as many hours. I actually started getting pain from my sports hernia from all the pushing. It kinda reminded me of a 5 hour labor, but I didn't get a child in the end, just more feces. I think our mom put enema juice on our curry.

Christmas Eve Mass was pretty cool. It was at midnight with a Bishop and was half in English. After the Mass, they had carols outside and the kids got gifts given to them from a guy dressed as Santa. I thought he should have been dressed as Jesus, but that might not have been appropriate. They also had fireworks. Yeah, yeah, sparklers, some little bottle rockets, and even a few bigger bottle rockets, but that's not all. Remember, I'm still in Sri Lanka. They had fountains. Those are the things you set on the ground and shoot sparks in the air. These were not little, nor were they a safe distance away from the crowd. They were set off with no warning close, but not within the crowd. I actually saw a child running while sparks fell around her. It was fantastic.

I leave here at 11:30 tonight on my 4 hour, 90 mile journey to the airport. The roads here suck. Since I packed, I'm no longer worried about the weight of my bags, but I'm still getting to the airport obnoxiously early: 4 hours. I can wonder around that or lay in my room. The airport will likely be cooler at least. Then it's a short 12 hour flight to London, 2 hour layover, 9 hour flight to Chicago, probably some sort of a layover, and then a 45 minute hop to Madison. I leave Sri Lanka at 7:30am, and arrive at Madison at 10:30 pm. I'll keep track of how many times I have to use the bathroom and if they have to make an emergency stop at Dubai because one of the flight attendants swears there's a biological weapon on board.

Thanks for those of you who've read my blog and left comments. I'll see you all eventually.

My last note will be to my family, who has been very supportive: Chicken burrito, black beans, mild salsa, cheese, and sour cream.

4 comments:

R said...

the ewoks never saw an AT-AT. get your star wars references straight.

Lisa-sis said...

Actually the AT-AT's were at the Battle of Endor.

YAY!!!! Kurt is coming home!!!!

We'll be there with the burrito!

dougadoo said...

actually they were AT-ST's cant wait to see kurt!

Kurt said...

I'm pretty sure there were both.