Monday, December 3, 2007

Heart Surgery (Post 2)

Heart Surgery is freaking awesome. When I was sent there I was just told to change and then just go in. I walk into the room and one of the techs tells me to go watch. No introduction, no preamble, nothing. Just, "Go and look." After just having spent a week in a mini operation room and nearly passing out a few times, I was a little worried about seeing an open chest cavity. And when I'm watching, I stand right at the patient's head, surrounded by important tubes such as the ones that let them breathe or keep them asleep. These are tubes that need to stay connected. If I faint and fall into these things, I will kill the person. And not like, they'll be messed up, they will actually die. This thought stays with me as I approach the operating table. As I get my first view of an open chest, I'm completely fine. I don't feel like I'm going to faint at all. This is a good feeling because I don't know the penalty for accidental murder in Sri Lanka. I'm guessing it involves tying parts of my body to different elephants and then releasing 3 lions onto the scene. It's also probably televised.

Pretty much, this past week I've been watching various heart surgeries and talking to doctors that are performing heart surgery. I feel like I shouldn't be distracting them, but they like talking, so it's all good. To get to the heart, first, you have to cut through your chest skin. this is done with a scalpel at first. It is then continued with a cauterizing knife. While this is going on, all you can smell is burning flesh. It smells like meat mixed with rubber. After you get through the skin and fat (they're having heart surgery, even here it's still mostly fat people) you need to get through the sternum. What would you use to accomplish that? I think I'd go for the handheld saw and cut the bone in half. They have this little saw that quite easily gets through the sternum, but thankfully it's pretty quiet, so you can hear the bone being cut. After that it's more cauterizing. This time to the sides of the cut sternum and surrounding tissue. And, I kid you not, it smells like ribs you'd order at Damons. I'm watching this guy's chest get cut open, all I can think about is barbecue sauce.

The heart itself is kinda red and has some yellow because of the fat. I really think I'm going to do more cardio when I get home. It looks only kinda like it does in anatomy books, and the veins and arteries aren't colored blue and red respectively. Lying books. It looks really cool to see a beating heart. And it's weird because I could actually reach out and touch it if I wanted to. I do, but since I'm not sterile, that would be way #2 I could kill the patient. After getting to the heart they have to attach all these tubes so the blood can go to a bypass machine so the heart can stop beating. In case you didn't already assume, when you cut into an atrium, blood spurts out. Randomly when they're finishing up, one of the sutures won't be tight enough and a little fountain of blood will start to rise. The surgeon usually just puts his finger on it like it's a Pepsi bottle that's leaking. Sometimes the surgeon will get a facefull of blood. There really is blood everywhere.

For cardiac artery bypass surgery, they take a huge vein out of the person's leg from their ankle to their knee and then graft it onto the heart and aorta. For valve replacements, they just cut out the old ones and then sew the new one in. It's not exactly that easy, and the surgeries take about 4 or 5 hours, but that's pretty much how it's done.

There was a lady today that weighed 85 kg. If you convert that to pounds it comes out to "Too Much". So she needed a new valve. Also a diet. After the doctors got through all the fat and finally go to the heart, it was ridiculous. It was like the scene when the Grinch is finally filled with the spirit of Christmas when he hears all the Whos down in Whoville singing. Operating on her enormous yellow heart was harder than usual and when they got done, she was fibrillating, so they got out the little heart paddles and shocked her 3 times before the heart stopped that. A little later the surgeon was sewing the atrium back together and his head and arms just kinda dropped in defeated disappointment because the ventricle was fibrillating again. He got back out the paddles and shocked her again. Later, he rolled his eyes at a tube because it sprayed blood all over his chest and face. I left after they had to put her on an external pacemaker because her heart wouldn't go back to normal. Honestly, her ECG looked like an earthquake. *Insert your own fat person walking joke here*

Heart surgery is pretty sweet, but you know what's even better? And by 'even better' I mean, 'better than Green Bay'. The Dallas Cowboys.

-Kurt

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Screw you and your Cowboys. I have to listen to that shit all week from AJ, the Asian Wonderboy Texan, about his damn Cowboys. And I lost a bet between me and him so now I have to cook and serve him and Lisa dinner in a waiter outfit. How bad does that suck. I swear if they ask for more crushed pepper I will flip the table over

Lisa-sis said...

laughs @ Ryan

I'm learning all sorts of interesting stuff, Kurt. Perhaps I shouldn't check your blog in the morning, or around food time, though.

The CTU post was pure awesomeness though.

Realistically though, Cowboys or Packers, it doesn't matter. They're just going to get beat by a team in the better conference.

Go Colts!

Unknown said...

Kurt,

I hope you were singing the Chili's baby back ribs song. I want my baby back baby back baby back....... Chili's BABY BACK RIBS! BARBECUE SAUCE!

Dustin Schneider said...

damn it keane, i was just going to comment that i was picturing kurt drumming on a beating heart and singing "i want my baby back baby back baby back....Chilli's Baby Back Ribs, BBQ Sauce"

but you beat me to it...nice work sir.

Craig said...

Chili's is the new Radisson. When you're planning an open heart surgery, everyone's a little disappointed to hear it's at the Radisson. The Radisson is so stuffy. Chili's is fun for open heart surgery. Ask Tim Meadows. [for those of you who didn't catch the Office reference, I pity you. You need to start watching].

In all seriousness, human meat tastes like pork from what I've heard. I learned that at my chemical weapons school for the Army because someone asked the instructor if you could eat the meat of someone who had been killed by nerve gas. He was wondering if it would be safe, not so much whether VX would affect the flavor. The instructor told us that human meat generally tastes like pork, which means the ribs would probably taste pretty good. I'd want barbecue sauce if I had to eat them, though. Even if I didn't have to eat them.

The Grinch comment was solid gold. Also, it's a little disconcerting to know that if my heart starts gushing blood during surgery, the doctor plugs the hole with his finger. Kurt, when the doctor plugged the hole in the heart with his finger, did blood start spraying out her ears? And then when he plugged that hole with his other hand, did blood start squirting out her toes? And then when the doctor had used both hands and feet to cover all the holes, did the last hole squirt him right in the face until he had to use his mouth, at which point the blood started squirting out the doctor's ears? It would have if we were all cartoons.