Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Sigiriya and Random Dancing

It snowed yesterday. Not here. Somewhere else. Probably Wisconsin. Here it was really hot and I sunburned one of my arms at the beach.

British people watch the British Office, but they think it's better than ours. Their "Jim" is named "Tim".

We went to Sigiriya and Kandy 2 weekends ago. Sigiriya was the capitol long ago and there's the ruins of a fortress on top of this huge rock. There may be pictures of it on the site. Anyway, you have to climb up a ways to get to the top. There's a little flat area just before the last climb and it had a lot of monkeys. One was letting us stand very close to it, but when I tried to take a picture, it came at me. Like, it actually tried to bite me. Good thing I have cat-like speed and reflexes. So we're standing there taking pictures of the non-aggressive monkeys when it starts to rain. Like, really rain. We go stand under a tree with some locals to stay dry and after about 15 mins, it kinda clears up. There are still more stairs to go, but we got this far, screw the rain. So, we decide to go for it. Now, the last staircase, after the really slippery rock steps, looks like a fire escape from the Projects. But in worse shape. Some locals advise us to take our shoes off cuz it'd be less slippery. My sandals strap to my feet and are rockstarish, so I keep them on. As we begin our climb, it's going well. It's us and then like 2 other people deciding to go for it at this point. No local is that dumb. As we get to the rickety metal part, we notice that it's built next to the rock face, so some of the stairs are like 6 inches wide and then just hit the rock with a jagged border. I've seen less tetanus at the Rusty Metal Emporium. And most people have no shoes on. We survive the climb, but we had to do the last part using our hands and feet. The view is nice, yadda, yadda, now we have to get back down. But we have a new enemy: gravity. We took it nice and slow and kept the fatalities to zero.

This past weekend we went to the beach and relaxed. On Friday night we went to a club, but the girls we were with didn't want to hang out with us for some reason, so it was just Sam, Stefan, and me. That's not about to ruin our night. I ran out onto the floor and broke out every dance move I had, including the Carlton. Sam then did The Terrorist. I then broke out the Shopping Cart. Then it spiraled out of control. This night and the next we would make up something to do and then next person had to do it. Some examples: pretend you're a seed bloom into a tree and die, you're an octopus born in the desert and you're confused, vampire bite at least 10 people, do the foxtrot with a sri lankan, get 2 sri lankans to join hands with you and spin in a circle, grab a flag and do a dance with it, ask all the tables if they've seen your lost chicken, start dancing and then pretend you're scared of music, and get a girl to sit on my shoulders and do the YMCA motions. That last one took me 20 minutes, but I did it. Boredom is the greatest of all inventors. (Take THAT Edison.)

Some posts I considered doing, but didn't for whatever reason: The Battle of Kurt's Colon, Animals I want to Kill, and Sri Lankan Food: Tasty, but what the Hell am I Eating?

Capital One Bowl again?
And Illinois in the Rose Bowl? Has black become white?

-Kurt

2 comments:

Lisa-sis said...

You're actually in the Outback bowl, Michigan got the Capital One bowl against Florida. Wisconsin's task in the Outback bowl is to make the horrid orange color (Tennessee) go down. (Yes my hatred has extended to all things orange now.)

Did you guys assign points to the different tasks? You know, like how we used to do the car ride stuff. Or not? If so, who won?

Lori said...

We got the Rosebowl!!! I don't understand how they assign bowls and nick tried to explain it to me, but whatever. All my friend are just a little bit bummed out about it because they were hopping for the bowl in Orlando and they were going to drive down to the game and CA is a bit far to drive and the airline flights and hotels are way too expensive. So basically none of my friends are going, but the upside is they are now all coming to my New Years Eve party. So i'm happy.

I"m going to have stop reading your posts at work because they are going to start thinking i'm nuts soon. You have had me laughing so hard i'm been in tears. I can hear Lisa laughing from IL. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!!!